Friday 13 October 2017

RAP; Rabid, Angry People?

  Somehow I managed to stumble across Elders React to Eminem on YouTube, (yeah, the Fine Brother's are still around, apparently), and the video was actually really surprising. I didn't expect a lot of them to get what rap is really about, or what it means to some people, but I found myself impressed. A lot of the older ladies were the most appreciative of Em's quick, wordy style, and some of the reactees even knew him prior to the video.

  Anybody that knows Eminem, or even one of his songs, is aware of how broad the rapper's vocabulary is - something I've always personally been enamored with. His ability to twist the most obscure and un-rhymeable words is something that takes true raw talent. A talent that most generations will never come close to. I know un-rhymeable isn't a word. They don't call me Slim Shady.

  One of the comments from an aged gentleman was, "why are there so many young, angry rappers?" and... it stunned me. How can there be such a disconnect from one music genre fan to another? What do most artists use music for? Usually it's some kind of escape known as catharsis - the process of releasing, and thereby providing relief from, strong or repressed emotions. An action most people express through art. That's exactly the reason I think most rappers take to that genre, it's an accepted method of getting out as many repressed feelings as you can within the space of a few bars. For people to disregard it or simply say they don't understand is both fascinating and baffling, and really highlights a generational gap in some cases.

  As much as I personally dislike the Fine Brothers I appreciate their efforts, regardless of how misguided, in introducing people to certain things and encouraging understanding in different and oftentimes opposing generations. Not only that, but it's bloody funny watching OAP's recoil in jaw-dropping fashion at Marshall's loose use of words like nut-sack and faggot. So thank you, Fine Bros, thank you.

Signed,
Elijah.
Meta Sentience.
13/10/2017

1 comment:

  1. Very thoughtful blog post, and yes interesting thoughts x

    ReplyDelete