Friday 27 October 2017

Jigsaw: A Homage

  I cannot begin to describe the shivers and chills that danced along my spine when the classic Saw theme began to fade in as I settled down to watch this Hallowe'en's brand new bloodbath. The first trap really set the scene; reminiscent of the Neck Tie trap in Saw V. Five unlucky sinners confined in the dark, waiting until they're forced to atone in this gruesomely clever homage.

  I won't be describing every detail of what happened in this new installment because I want you to be able to read this spoiler free and enjoy the immersion. But I will be going through a few things I noted down while watching, so stop reading here if you want everything to remain a surprise!

  The film's place in the timeline is established early with a ten year mark, which I personally thought was a good choice. Get the initial, 'is it a sequel? Is it a prequel?' misunderstanding out the way so the true fuckery can begin later on. *insert cringey devil emoji here*

  The first trap ends and there's a bit of calm, after that short period the classic Saw/horror movie character trope is introduced; the one who is willing to endanger or even kill in order to escape or complete the games. I like this because it shows the movies are still willing to keep the age old formula. It works even if it shouldn't and the group's dynamic doesn't get old. The one person you're supposed to hate until the true threat is disclosed. They certainly didn't have a leg to stand on.

  Overall I really liked the traps shown. All were new and a couple had me laughing, mostly due to excitement of seeing them, which was a pleasant surprise, and the backstories of every individual were really nicely outlined so there was no confusion.

  A couple nice things were added as a homage to the previous movies, such as a room of Kramer's traps owned or built by an avid super-fan, pig masks strewn among multiple scenes, and the saw, (that I can only assume is supposed to be the one Lawrence Gordon used to amputate his foot in Saw), is placed ceremoniously on an altar. All nods that I both appreciated and reciprocated in respectful admiration.

  Everything about this movie, for me, was perfect. The execution - no pun intended - after such a long gap between the seventh film was extremely well done. The timeline wasn't eviscerated beyond all recognition, and it was fun to narrow your eyes and guess along until the big reveal. The clues were all there and it was really easy to follow and understand, even for people who haven't seen the other volumes in the franchise.

  I'll leave the rest to you guys. I'd love to know what you thought about the film once you see it, so all comments welcome. Once again, thanks for joining me and I'll see you next week.

Signed,
Elijah.
Meta Sentience.
27/10/2017

  

No comments:

Post a Comment