Tuesday 13 March 2018

"Saw usually isn't considered to be a good movie..."

  This morning somebody asked me what my favourite movie was. A classic staple in the, 'this conversation is getting awkward, ask random questions', agenda. When I told them it was Saw, this was their response;

  "Saw isn't usually considered to be a good movie. People usually go for The Shawshank Redemption or something. Why do you like it so much?"

  First of all we must ask ourselves, what makes a good movie? Many aspects of filmmaking and scriptwriting, directing, producing, etc, etc. But I think more importantly, what makes a good movie is the person watching it. Every person will experience certain things and appreciate them differently. Once the work is sent out into the world, it belongs to everybody, and they get to make the decision of whether they think something is good or not. Whether they're actually right or wrong becomes irrelevant when personal opinions are involved.

  As an example, millions of people adore Harry Potter. I might be a killjoy but in my opinion it's not that good, and yet it's universally adored. For me, it didn't live up to the hype, and I feel I can make that judgement based on watching the films and reading the first four books. The same goes for my favourite game being The Beginner's Guide. Plenty of gamers and reviewers thought it was far too contrived and try-hard, but I took something quite profound away from it.

  I could give a thousand reasons as to why I enjoyed something, and regardless there's going to be millions of people that disagree and offer a thousand reasons in favour of the opposite. Then of course there's the argument that nothing is intrisically good or bad until somebody forms that opinion. Isn't that fascinating? Isn't it amazing how diverse everybody is?

  I won't bore you with the reasons I love Saw so much, (unless you want me to, let me know), but I hope this post interested you in some way. Have a nice week, everybody.

Signed,
Elijah.
Meta Sentience.
13/03/2018

No comments:

Post a Comment