Tuesday 16 January 2018

Bloodborne: Git Gud or Die Trying

  Bloodborne - yet another title in the Soulsborne franchise that had gamers shaking with anger and fear. Another brand new world, the streets of which tiled with the bloodstains of frustrated players. But why? Let's explore that shall we?

  The Soulsborne games are known for being difficult, infamous for it even, yet with each new installment there's always a certain slew of people that complain about everything being too hard and how the developers have cheated them out of a pleasant and fun experience. Git gud or give up as it goes, but the more prejudices you go into one of these games with, the more irate you'll become when you inevitably die repeatedly for those first few hours.

  Bloodborne isn't hard. The Dark Souls series isn't hard. Demon Souls isn't... well, actually...

  I jest, of course. The reason so many people believe the opposite is because they listen to what they're told. Personally I've never been one for listening, so I went into Bloodborne with a completely clear head. I woke up in that clinic, and I strolled into Yharnam with the mind frame of, "I know I'm going to die, but each death will be my fault, so don't be a little bitch about it and don't get mad." This genuinely worked, and boy did I die, and died and died and died.

  It took me about two and a half to three hours to pass through Central Yharnam with that fresh, obnoxious, burning pyre alight in the courtyard, and I died a LOT. But I didn't get mad, I just wanted to get even. I used each death as a driving force. What could I do better? Where was I going wrong? I feel that attitude is very important when entering a Soulsborne world for the first time.

  The only part so far, (touch wood), that made me rage quit and turn off the PlayStation was Father Gascoigne, and that was only to switch it back on five minutes later and do some grinding. My anger in that situation wasn't directed at the game, I was frustrated with myself. It wasn't Bloodborne's fault that I kept dying, it meant that I wasn't playing efficiently enough. That's what gives this game so much charm, it's an unapologetic beast that refuses to hold your hand. You can be good at this game if you play it correctly.

  After farming for a while, I came back to the game the day after and beat Gascoigne on my first try. I directly addressed the issue and fixed it. I'm so glad that I did that. The only thing I'm sad about is that ol' Gascy wasn't developed further. I really liked him...

  I was going to write a little more on the mechanics of the game, but I remembered that I'd already written Play Style: Git Gud, so I didn't want to go into the controls and the graphics when you could just read that entry. This was written at about 4am last night because I couldn't drop off, so I hope after writing it up properly and editing it that it's coherent enough.

Signed,
Elijah.
Meta Sentience.
16/01/2018

No comments:

Post a Comment