Saturday 16 June 2018

Solitude

  I watched a programme today about five people voluntarily going into solitary confinement for five days with absolutely no connection to the outside world. As I was watching, I couldn’t help but think how insane that experience would send me. Despite being very introverted, I spend a lot of time on my phone - never really doing all that much, but just enough to satisfy my restlessness. It's a problem, I know that, and I need to get better with it.

  A couple of days in confinement is unfathomable, let alone, let's say, forty years like Charles bronson had to endure. I need some form of contact whether I like to admit it or not. Leaving my apartment is an absolute chore and I don't enjoy dealing with people at all, but I know if I didn't go out, and if I didn't have the internet, I would crack. Isn't that absolutely sad? How much we rely on social media in order to just... not go mental? We chose that.

  Music is a big thing for me. Music, writing and games. All three allow me to get out of my own head and be somewhere else. Have you ever listened to a song and imagined that you're the main character in a film or a music video? I do that a lot. Especially with sad songs. I don't know why, but I really like unhappy music. A lot of people say that it brings their mood down, but if anything it allows me to reflect. I think if I had to deal with something like solitary confinement I would take an iPod, or a CD player or something. Bronson's preferred mode of entertainment is his art, and I think that says a lot about him.

  I'm not sure what this post was supposed to be. I didn't really have a plan. I guess I was just thinking about being alone. Choosing loneliness is one thing, but being forced into it is... something else.

Signed,
Elijah.
Meta Sentience.
16/06/2018

  

No comments:

Post a Comment