Friday 30 June 2017

Meta Character Creation

  Very rarely does anybody create characters without thinking of flaws to give them. We can't help it. The exhilaration of 'playing God' is too much to handle. Whether it's some kind of horrific physical or mental disease riddling their existence, or emotional scarring impacting every aspect of their lives, they all have... something. The fact is, perfect characters are boring.

  Acting as God over your characters isn't the only reason they are the way they are. I think everybody can vouch for me when I say that there's pieces of the creator in the creation. My characters are constantly broken and trampled, with very minute amounts of potential to be somebody better. The reason? They're a reflection of myself. Saying this doesn't mean that because Zack Grayson is a recovering sex addict, I myself am some kind of raging sex machine. And it equally doesn't mean that I have issues talking to women just because Doug Walker harbours that struggle.

  Yet on the other hand, my characters are a part of me. I share the anxiety and the social ineptitude of Doug, and the ability to be as tactless and calculating as Zack. They're a sneaky way for me to be self-aware of my own problems. Isn't that fascinating?

  Now, this brings up an interesting detail; Never use the book to read the author. Remember in high school when you were told to analyse an environment in great detail? 'Yes, the curtains were blue, but what does that mean? Could the author be attempting to cleverly reference an underlying melancholia through the colour of the curtains? Maybe the blue represents an oncoming state of calm that the reader is yet to realise!' Or maybe the curtains were just fucking blue.

  Just because there are possibilities that might amount to a plausible explanation doesn't mean that's what the author intended. BUT! That is the absolute beauty of art! It is up to you to interpret such works however you feel, regardless of the artist. When the work reaches you, the artist is dead.

Signed,
Elijah.
Meta Sentience.
30/06/2017

No comments:

Post a Comment