Tuesday 3 July 2018

Derk Souls III

  I sort of had a post ready for today, but the contents of it are void so I’m deciding not to post it. Ooh, the mystery. Don’t worry, you’re not missing anything.

  Anyway, instead, I’m just gonna talk a little bit about Dark Souls III. So far, I’m really enjoying my experience with the game, despite having done a lot of things out of order because I had very little exposure. For instance, I accidentally found the NPC that takes you right to the Ashes of Ariandel DLC - something I certainly wasn’t prepared for at level 31. Now at level 52, (I think), I’ve found my way to the Cathedral of the Deep. I was supposed to be here before defeating the boss in the Catacombs of Carthus, entering Irithyll of The Boreal Valley, and maybe even before defeating the Abyss Watchers.

  Can we take a minute to appreciate the Abyss Watchers? I’ve adored that fight for such a long time. The pure enigma of it. Clashing of swords before you push open the heavy double doors, then witnessing what’s happening inside, and of course, being launched into the game-changing fight. Don’t get me wrong, it’s basically a straight rip of Lady Maria from Bloodborne who's been re-skinned... but there are multiple Watchers fighting you AND each other. As far as I can recall, that’s never been done before in the Soulsborne franchise. Sure there's been multiple enemies in a boss fight before, time after time, but never fighting one another.

  Other than Iudex Gundyr, the first tutorial boss, and the Abyss Watchers, the bosses in the game have been lacklustre so far in comparison to past instalments. There is a chance that I am still so enamoured by Bloodborne and the fights in that game that I am biased. Orphan of Kos, for example, is my favourite fight in The OId Hunters DLC and the base game. Not only is it challenging, but completely unpredictable for new players. Orphan, in my opinion, has no broken hitboxes, stupid attacks or cheap, one-hit-kill grabs, (the latter of which we see way too often in Soulsborne games). Every move is perfectly telegraphed and the arena in which you fight is gargantuan.

  This isn't the first Soulsborne post I've written, and it probably won't be the last. And I'm fine with that. It seems the best of my writing comes out when it comes to gaming. I hope you all have a great week, and I'll try to update on Friday.

Signed,
Elijah.
Meta Sentience.
03/07/2018

No comments:

Post a Comment